- a financial aid supplied by a government, as to industry, for reasons of public welfare, the balance of payments, etc
- a financial grant made originally for special purposes by Parliament to the Crown
- any monetary contribution, grant, or aid
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- Governmenta direct payment of money made by a government to a private commercial business or industry, an individual, or another government:The subsidies paid to the rice farmers guarantee that the farmer receives a high price without the consumer having to pay a high price, too.
- Governmentany grant or contribution of money.