WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
surf /sɝf/USA pronunciation
v. [no object]
to go surfing.
surf•er, n. [countable]
- the swell of the waves of the sea that breaks upon a shore:rough surf during the hurricane.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
surf /sɜːf/ n
- waves breaking on the shore or on a reef
- foam caused by the breaking of waves
Etymology: 17th Century: probably variant of sough1
- (intransitive) to take part in surfing
- (on the internet) to move freely from website to website (esp in the phrase surf the net)
- to move freely between (TV channels or radio stations)
- informal to be carried on top of something
'surf' also found in these entries: