- the temporary possession or holding by a tenant of lands or property owned by another
- the period of holding or occupying such property
- the period of holding office, a position, etc
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- [uncountable] a holding by a tenant;
- [countable] the length of time of a tenancy.
n., pl. -cies.
- a holding, as of lands, by any kind of title;
occupancy of land, a house, or the like, under a lease or on payment of rent;
- the period of a tenant's occupancy.
- occupancy or enjoyment of a position, post, situation, etc.:her tenancy as professor of history at the state university.
- [Archaic.]a piece of land held by a tenant;
ten(ant) + -ancy;
compare Medieval Latin tenantia, variant of tenentia