- a person who employs terror or terrorism, esp as a political weapon
- (as modifier): terrorist tactics
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Governmenta person, usually a member of a group, who uses or advocates terrorism.
- Governmenta person who terrorizes or frightens others.
- Government(formerly) a member of a political group in Russia aiming at the demoralization of the government by terror.
- Governmentan agent or partisan of the revolutionary tribunal during the Reign of Terror in France.
- Governmentof, pertaining to, or characteristic of terrorism or terrorists:terrorist tactics.
- 1785–95; terror + -ist; compare French terroriste
- Governmentthe use of violence and threats to frighten and force one's will on another, esp. for political purposes.
- Governmentthe use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes.
- Governmentthe state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
- Governmenta terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.
- terror + -ism 1785–95