- the act of giving thanks
- an expression of thanks to God
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- [uncountable] the act of giving thanks.
- [countable] an expression of thanks, esp. to God.
- [proper noun;
Thanksgiving] a public celebration for giving thanks, esp. a holiday in the United States and Canada.
- the act of giving thanks;
grateful acknowledgment of benefits or favors, esp. to God.
- an expression of thanks, esp. to God.
- a public celebration in acknowledgment of divine favor or kindness.
- a day set apart for giving thanks to God.
- (cap.) See Thanksgiving Day.
- thank + -s3 + giving 1525–35