WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
tim•ber /ˈtɪmbɚ/USA pronunciation
n. WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- [uncountable] the wood of trees used for construction.
- [uncountable] growing trees themselves, or the land where they grow.
- a single piece of wood forming part of a structure:[countable]A timber fell from the roof.
- one who is thought of as having very great qualifications;
caliber:[uncountable]He's presidential timber.
- (used as a lumberjack's call to warn others that a cut tree is about to fall).
(tim′bər),USA pronunciation n.
- the wood of growing trees suitable for structural uses.
- growing trees themselves.
- wooded land.
- wood, esp. when suitable or adapted for various building purposes.
- a single piece of wood forming part of a structure or the like:A timber fell from the roof.
- Nautical, Naval Terms(in a ship's frame) one of the curved pieces of wood that spring upward and outward from the keel;
- personal character or quality:He's being talked up as presidential timber.
- Sporta wooden hurdle, as a gate or fence, over which a horse must jump in equestrian sports.
- to furnish with timber.
- to support with timber.
- to fell timber, esp. as an occupation.
- a lumberjack's call to warn those in the vicinity that a cut tree is about to fall to the ground.
- bef. 900; Middle English, Old English: origin, originally, house, building material; cognate with German Zimmer room, Old Norse timbr timber; akin to Gothic timrjan, Greek démein to build. See dome
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
timber /ˈtɪmbə/ n
- wood, esp when regarded as a construction material
Usual US and Canadian word: lumber
- (as modifier): a timber cottage
- trees collectively
- chiefly US woodland
- a piece of wood used in a structure
- a frame in a wooden vessel
- (transitive) to provide with timbers
Etymology: Old English; related to Old High German zimbar wood, Old Norse timbr timber, Latin domus house
- a lumberjack's shouted warning when a tree is about to fall
'timber' also found in these entries: