- the state or quality of being tolerant
- capacity to endure something, esp pain or hardship
- the permitted variation in some measurement or other characteristic of an object or workpiece
- the capacity of an organism to endure the effects of a poison or other substance, esp after it has been taken over a prolonged period
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
- [uncountable] a fair, open attitude toward people whose race, religion, practices, etc., differ from one's own:a long history of tolerance toward the beliefs of others.
- the act of enduring or capacity to endure; endurance: [uncountable]My tolerance for noise is limited.[countable]a weak tolerance for the drug.