- a characteristic feature or quality distinguishing a particular person or thing
- rare a touch or stroke
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- a quality, esp. of one's personal nature, that sets one apart from others:his bad character traits.
- an inherited feature or characteristic:a recessive trait.
- a distinguishing characteristic or quality, esp. of one's personal nature:bad traits of character.
- a pen or pencil stroke.
- a stroke, touch, or strain, as of some quality:a trait of pathos; a trait of ready wit.
- Latin tractus. See tract1
- Middle French: literally, something drawn