- Try out WordReference Random Word. Each page load will return a random word from the dictionary. Or test your knowledge and have each page load with the definition hidden!
trill1 /trɪl/USA pronunciation
- a rapid alternation between two nearby musical tones.
- a similar quavering sound, as that made by a bird or by a person laughing.
- to sing, make, pronounce, or play with a trill: [~ + object]to trill a few notes.[no object]birds trilling in the morning.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
trill /trɪl/ n
- a melodic ornament consisting of a rapid alternation between a principal note and the note a whole tone or semitone above it
- a shrill warbling sound, esp as made by some birds
- the production of a similar effect using the uvula against the back of the tongue
Etymology: 17th Century: from Italian trillo, from trillare, apparently from Middle Dutch trillen to vibrate
- to sound, sing, or play (a trill or with a trill)
- (transitive) to pronounce (an (r) sound) by the production of a trill
'trill' also found in these entries:
In the English description: