WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
twelve /twɛlv/USA pronunciation
adj. [before a noun]
amounting to 12 in number.
- a cardinal number, 10 plus 2.
- a symbol for this number, as 12 or XII.
- a set of this many persons or things.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
twelve /twɛlv/ n
- the cardinal number that is the sum of ten and two
- a numeral, 12, XII, etc, representing this number
- something represented by, representing, or consisting of 12 units
- Also called: twelve o'clock noon or midnight
Etymology: Old English twelf; related to Old Frisian twelif, Old High German zwelif, Old Norse tolf, Gothic twalif
- amounting to twelve
- (as pronoun): twelve have arrived
Related adjective(s): duodecimal
'twelve' also found in these entries: