- of, relating to, or constituting a city or town
- living in a city or town
- (of music) emerging and developing in densely populated areas of large cities, esp those populated by people of African or Caribbean origin
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- of, relating to, or making up a city or town:urban areas.
- living in a city:the urban population.
- of, pertaining to, or designating a city or town.
- living in a city.
- characteristic of or accustomed to cities;
citified:He is an urban type.
- Latin urbānus, equivalent. to urb- (stem of urbs) city + -ānus -an