- the principle or practice of excluding all meat and fish, and sometimes, in the case of vegans, all animal products (such as eggs, cheese, etc) from one's diet
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- the beliefs or practices of a vegetarian.
- vegetarian + -ism 1850–55
- Nutrition, a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food made from animals.
- Nutritionof or relating to a belief in this kind of diet.
- made only from vegetables:vegetarian soup.
- a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc.
- Nutritionof or pertaining to vegetarianism or vegetarians.
- devoted to or advocating this practice.
- consisting solely of vegetables:vegetarian vegetable soup.Cf. lacto-ovo-vegetarian, lactovegetarian, vegan.
- veget(able) + -arian 1835–45