- a unit of length, used in Russia, equal to 1.067 kilometres (0.6629 miles)
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2015
- a Russian measure of distance equivalent to 3500 feet or 0.6629 mile or 1.067 kilometers.
- Slavic *vĭrsta literally, turn, bend, akin to *vert- turn (verb, verbal base), Latin vertere to turn (see convert, verse)
- Russian verstá; Old Russian vĭrsta age, agemate, pair, measure of length, cognate with Czech vrstva, Polish warstwa layer, Serbo-Croatian vŕsta sort, kind, Old Church Slavonic vrĭsta age, time of life
- French verste or German Werst