- a raised mark on the surface of the body produced by a blow
Also called: welt
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
weal2 /wil/USA pronunciation n.
- well-being, prosperity, or happiness:the public weal; weal and woe.
- [Obs.]wealth or riches.
- [Obs.]the body politic;
- bef. 900; Middle English wele, Old English wela; akin to well1
weal2 (wēl),USA pronunciation n.
- variant of wale1, with ea of wheal
- archaic prosperity or wellbeing (now esp in the phrases the public weal, the common weal)