- a quick lash or stroke of a whip or like that of a whip
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- [countable] the lash of a whip.
- Pathology[uncountable] a neck injury caused by a sudden jerking of the head.
- the lash of a whip.
- an abrupt snapping motion or change of direction resembling the lash of a whip.
- Also, whip′lash in′jury. a neck injury caused by a sudden jerking backward, forward, or both, of the head:Whiplash resulted when their car was struck from behind.
- Also called whip′lash curve′. a connected series of reverse curves of more or less elliptical form, used as a major design motif in the Art Nouveau style.
- to beat, hit, throw, etc., with or as if with a whiplash.
- to affect adversely, as by a sudden change:new taxes whiplashing corporate earnings.
- 1565–75; 1950–55 for def. 6; whip + lash1