ⓘ One or more forum threads is an exact match of your searched term. Click here
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
(win′dl strô′, win′l-), n. [Brit. Dial.]
- British Termsa withered stalk of any of various grasses.
- British Termsany of various long-stalked species of grass.
- British Termsany tall, thin person.
- British Termsany light or flimsy material or object.
- Old English windelstrēaw (not attested in Middle English). See windle, straw bef. 1000
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
windlestraw /ˈwɪndəlˌstrɔː/ n Irish Scot English dialect
Etymology: Old English windelstrēaw, from windel basket, from windan to wind² + strēaw straw1
- the dried stalk of any of various grasses
'windlestraw' also found in these entries: