WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
wish /wɪʃ/USA pronunciation
v. [not: be + ~-ing]
- to want;
desire: [~ + to + verb]I wish to stay here.[~ + object + to + verb]I wish him to obey.
- to desire (a person or thing) to be as stated, even if it is impossible: [~ + object ( + to + be) + adjective]We wished the matter (to be) settled.[~ + ( that ) clause]We wished that the matter would be settled.
- [no object; (~ + for)] to express a hope or desire for:She closed her eyes and wished for peace on earth.
- [~ + object + object] to bid, as in greeting:I wished her a good morning.
- wish on:
- [often with a negative word or phrase; ~ + object + on + object] to pass or desire to pass (something unwanted or bad) to another:I wouldn't wish this awful weather on my worst enemy.
- Also,wish upon. to use as a magical charm while making a wish:to wish upon a star.
wish•er, n. [countable]
- an act or instance of wishing.
- something wished or desired:Her last wish was to see her home country.
- a request or command:It was his wish that she become the new boss.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
wish /wɪʃ/ vb
- when tr, takes a clause as object or an infinitive; when intr, often followed by for: to want or desire (something, often that which cannot be or is not the case): I wish I lived in Italy, to wish for peace
- (transitive) to feel or express a desire or hope concerning the future or fortune of: I wish you well
- (transitive) to desire or prefer to be as specified
- (transitive) to greet as specified; bid: he wished us good afternoon
See also wish onEtymology: Old English wӯscan; related to Old Norse öskja, German wünschen, Dutch wenschenˈwisher n
- the act of wishing; the expression of some desire or mental inclination
- something desired or wished for: he got his wish
- (usually plural) expressed hopes or desire, esp for someone's welfare, health, etc
- (often plural) formal a polite order or request
'wish' also found in these entries:
In the English description: