WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
wom•an /ˈwʊmən/USA pronunciation
n., pl. wom•en
adj. [before a noun]
female:a woman plumber; a woman astronaut.
- Sex and Gender[countable] an adult female person.
- [countable] a female servant or attendant.
- [uncountable] women thought of as a group;
- [uncountable]feminine nature, characteristics, or feelings.
Pronouns-woman is used to form nouns with the meaning "involving a woman;
a woman in the role of:''chairwoman; spokeswoman.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
woman /ˈwʊmən/ n ( pl women /ˈwɪmɪn/)
- an adult female human being
- (modifier) female or feminine: a woman politician, woman talk
- women collectively; womankind
- the woman ⇒ feminine nature or feelings: babies bring out the woman in her
- a female servant or domestic help
- a man considered as having supposed female characteristics, such as meekness or timidity
- informal a wife, mistress, or girlfriend
- the little woman ⇒ informal one's wife
- woman of the streets ⇒ a prostitute
Etymology: Old English wīfmann, wimman; from wife + man (human being)ˈwomanless adj ˈwoman-ˌlike adj
- obsolete to make effeminate
'woman' also found in these entries: