WordReference English Collocations © 2019
boltⓘMost examples are given in US English. We have labeled exceptions as UK.
- a bolt of lightning
- a bolt of lightning [hit] the [tower, tree, church]
- the [tower] was hit by a bolt of lightning
- [hit, struck] me like a bolt of lightning
- felt [pain, fear, surprise] like a lightning bolt
- idiom: was a bolt from the blue
- idiom: was a bolt out of the blue
- fasten down the (nut and) bolt
- a [3/8-inch] bolt
- Is this the right size (of) bolt?
- cannot find the right size bolt
- Tighten (down) the bolt with [a wrench, your hand, your fingers]
- a [bag, drawer] full of loose nuts and bolts
- The bolt needs to be fastened [tightly, completely].
- unscrew the bolt from
- The bolts became loose from the [vibration, shaking].
- Use bolts to hold [it] [down, in place, together].
- was held [down] [with, using] nuts and bolts
- Lock the door with a dead bolt.
- The door is locked with a dead bolt.
- [threw back, slid, fastened] the (door) bolt
- made a (quick) bolt for the [door, exit, opening, clearing]
- bolt the [door, gate] (securely)
- bolt [it] [to the wall, to the floor, down, together]
- bolt from the [room, starting gate, building, meeting]
- bolt out of [the room]
- bolt for the [exit, door, stairs]
- (don't) bolt (down) your food
- bolted his food down
- [stood, was standing] bolt upright
'bolt' also found in these entries: