- called Ajax the Lesser, a Locrian king, a swift-footed Greek hero of the Trojan War
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- MythologyAlso called Great Ajax, Telamonian Ajax. [Class. Myth.]a Greek hero in the Trojan War who rescued the body of Achilles and killed himself out of jealousy when Odysseus was awarded the armor of Achilles.
- MythologyAlso called A′jax the Less′er. [Class. Myth.]a Locrian king, noted for his fighting during the Trojan War, who was said to have been killed in a shipwreck as punishment for violating a shrine of Athena.
- Literature(italics) a tragedy (c440 b.c.) by Sophocles.
- Place Namesa town in S Ontario, in S Canada. 20,774.