- a local Theban god, having a ram's head and symbolizing life and fertility, identified by the Egyptians with the national deity Amen-Ra
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- (used after a prayer to express solemn agreement) it is so;
so be it.
- (used to express agreement or approval) certainly;
- it is so;
so be it (used after a prayer, creed, or other formal statement to express solemn ratification or agreement).
- an utterance of the interjection "amen.''
- Music and Dancea musical setting for such an utterance.
- an expression of concurrence or assent:The committee gave its amen to the proposal.
- Hebrew āmēn certainty, certainly
- Late Latin
- Middle English, Old English bef. 1000
A•men (ä′mən),USA pronunciation n. [Egyptian Myth.]
- Eastern Religionsa primeval deity worshiped esp. at Thebes, the personification of air or breath represented as either a ram or a goose (later identified with Amen-Ra).
- so be it!: a term used at the end of a prayer or religious statement
- the use of the word amen, as at the end of a prayer