- Samuel Pierpont. 1834–1906, US astronomer and physicist: invented the bolometer (1878) and pioneered the construction of heavier-than-air flying machines
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- BiographicalEdmund of. See York, Edmund of Langley, 1st Duke of.
- BiographicalWilliam. See Langland, William.
- Place Namesa city in SW British Columbia, in SW Canada, near Vancouver. 15,124.
lang•ley (lang′lē),USA pronunciation n. [Physics.]
- Physicsfor electromagnetic radiation incident upon a surface, a value of energy per unit area equal to one calorie per square centimeter.
- after south, southern. P. Langley 1945–50