- a sudden ludicrous descent from exalted to ordinary matters or style in speech or writing
- insincere or excessive pathos
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- (in writing) a sudden change in subject matter from a high and serious topic to a commonplace and ridiculous one.
- a ludicrous descent from the exalted or lofty to the commonplace;
- insincere pathos;
- triteness or triviality in style.
- Greek: depth
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged . maudlinness, tearfulness;
mush, gush, schmaltz.
- 3.See corresponding entry in Unabridged . insipidity, inanity.