- a Eurasian plant, Stachys (or Betonica) officinalis, with a spike of reddish-purple flowers, formerly used in medicine and dyeing: family Lamiaceae (labiates)
- any of several related plants of the genus Stachys
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Plant Biologya plant, Stachys (formerly Betonica) officinalis, of the mint family, having hairy leaves and dense spikes of purple flowers, formerly used in medicine and dyeing.
- Plant Biologyany of various similar plants, esp. of the genus Pedicularis.
- Anglo-French), Old English bet(t)onice (
- Medieval Latin betōnia, re-formation of Latin betōnica (Pliny), in earlier readings vettōnica (herba) Vettonic (herb) (Vettōn(ēs) an Iberian tribe + -ica, feminine of -icus -ic); compare Middle English beteyne, betoyne (
- bef. 1000; late Middle English; Middle English betayny, betanie