- a minnow-like Alaskan freshwater fish, Dallia pectoralis, related to the pikes and thought to be able to survive prolonged freezing
- a female salmon that has recently spawned
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Fishany of various dark-colored fishes, as the tautog, Tautoga onitis, or the sea bass, Centropristes striatus.
- Fisha small, freshwater food fish, Dallia pectoralis, found in Alaska and Siberia, noted for its ability to survive frozen in ice.
- MammalsSee black whale.
- black + fish 1680–90, American.