- a husband
- a man not of gentle birth: used as a title
- a master of a household
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- the master of a household;
- (cap.) a title of respect used for a man below the rank of gentleman, esp. a farmer or yeoman.
- 1125–75; Middle English; see good, -man
Good•man (gŏŏd′mən),USA pronunciation n.
- Benny, full name Benjamin David Goodman. 1909–86, US jazz clarinetist and bandleader, whose treatment of popular songs created the jazz idiom known as swing