- a cannon having a short or medium barrel with a low muzzle velocity and a steep angle of fire
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Militarya cannon with a short barrel, used esp. for firing shells at a steep upward angle.
- Militarya cannon having a comparatively short barrel, used esp. for firing shells at a high angle of elevation, as for reaching a target behind cover or in a trench.
- Czech houfnice slingshot) + -er -er1
- German Haubitze, Middle High German haufnitz
- Dutch houvietser, equivalent. to houviets- (
- earlier hauwitzer 1685–95