- a traditional Japanese system of unarmed combat, employing smashes, chops, kicks, etc, made with the hands, feet, elbows, or legs
- (as modifier): a karate chop to the head
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Sporta Japanese method of self-defense using fast, hard blows with the hands, elbows, knees, or feet.
- Sporta method developed in Japan of defending oneself without the use of weapons by striking sensitive areas on an attacker's body with the hands, elbows, knees, or feet. Cf. judo, jujitsu.
- Sporta sport based on this method of self-defense.
- Japanese, equivalent. to kara empty + te (earlier *tai) hand(s)