- the act of getting rid of something undesirable or unpleasant; deliverance or removal (esp in the phrase good riddance)
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Idiomsgood riddance, (used to express relief at no longer needing to deal with someone or something that is gone or has been removed):They're gone, and good riddance!
- the act or fact of clearing away or out, as anything undesirable.
- relief or deliverance from something.
- good riddance, a welcome relief or deliverance from something:He's gone, and good riddance!
- rid1 + -ance 1525–35
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged . ouster, clearance, dislodgment.