- a low dam that is built across a river to raise the water level, divert the water, or control its flow
- a series of traps or enclosures placed in a stream to catch fish
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Civil Engineeringa dam in a stream.
- a fence set in a stream in order to catch fish.
- Civil Engineeringa small dam in a river or stream.
- a fence, as of brush or narrow boards, or a net set in a stream, channel, etc., for catching fish.
- Middle English were, Old English wer, derivative of root of werian to defend, dam up bef. 900
- Judith. born 1954, Scottish composer, noted esp for her opera A Night at the Chinese Opera (1987)
- Peter. born 1944, Australian film director; his films include Dead Poets Society (1989), The Truman Show (1998), and Master and Commander (2003)